The Official Site of

Gresham GreyWolves


Game Recaps

Gresham battles back with three in 9th, loses in 10th

06/26/2017 9:04 PM

Gresham, Ore. -- A day after losing a thrilling 10-8 game on Sunday, the Gresham GreyWolves fell to the Yakima Valley Pippins 10-6 in 10 innings on Monday night in Gresham, Oregon.

Yakima Valley got out to an early lead with a run in the first inning. The GreyWolves, though, would respond quickly with three runs in the second inning off three home runs. Drew Curtis hit a solo shot to tie the score at one and stood alone atop the team's home run and runs batted in leaders - but it only lasted a couple of at-bats. After Ross Puskarich drew a walk, Tyler Parker mashed a fastball over the center-field fence to give Gresham a two-run lead and move into a tie with Curtis with four home runs and pass him with 17 runs batted in.

The Pippins would chip away. Yakima Valley scored a single run in the third, fourth, sixth, seventh, and ninth innings to build a 6-3 lead. Gresham starter Alex Roth threw five solid innings, allowing three runs on six hits while striking out two and walking none. Roth received a no-decision. Yakima Valley starter Josh Tedeschi also was solid after a rough second inning. He went six innings, allowing three runs on four hits while striking out six and walking four. Tedeschi also received a no-decision, but was in line for a win until Gresham would rally in the ninth inning.

Down by three in the bottom of the ninth after the Pippins added an insurance run in the top of the frame, Gresham needed three to force extra innings and four for a walk-off win against Yakima Valley. Pippins reliever Taylor Dollard recorded the first two outs of the inning (and, at that point, the first eight batters he faced) before Gresham's bats got going.

Pinch hitter Jackson Thoreson singled to keep the game going for Gresham and bring up the top of the order. Alec de Watteville then singled, too, to bring up Mike Peabody with two on two out. Peabody represented the tying run. He looped a double down the right field line to score one run and pushing de Watteville to third base. Peabody, the tying run, was in scoring position with two outs.

The double extended the inning for Gabe Barthelmass, who had pinch hit for Jake Palmer earlier in the game. Barthelmass lined the first pitch he saw to third base where Dillon Plew bobbled it and his rushed throw to first base pulled Lucas Denney off the bag, allowing Barthelmass to reach safely. The error pushed de Watteville across the plate and moved Peabody to third. Now down by just one, with both the tying and winning runs on base, the GreyWolves turned to Curtis, who homered earlier.

On the ninth pitch of the at-bat Curtis lined a 3-2 pitch down the left field line just past the glove of the diving Plew for a double. Peabody scored easily from third to tie the game and Weaver, who had pinch run for Barthelmass at first base, was off on the pitch because the count was full and there were two outs. Weaver hit the bag at second before the ball even left the infield. Weaver then rounded third and the throw from deep left field was cut off in shallow left with Weaver halfway to home plate. However, about 15 feet from home plate, Weaver stumbled and fell. The catcher Tyler Sandoval had the ball before Weaver recovered and was eventually thrown out before he could get back to third base. The inning ended with a tie score but the GreyWolves were a stumble away from a walk-off win with four runs in the 9th all after two outs were recorded.

In the 10th, the Pippins scored four. Three came home on a Denney three-run home run and added another after a Nick Plaia double. Gresham did not have another rally in them in the bottom half of the 10th inning.

The loss drops Gresham to 9-15 on the season and with South Division-leading Corvallis idle on Monday, the GreyWolves are now 5.5 games back in the South.

Gresham travels to take on the Walla Walla Sweets for a three-game series starting on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. from Borleske Stadium. The game will be broadcast on